The village, in whose vicinity the italo-Greek monastery of S. Flavianus, is first by a donation of November 1067. With it John cousins «filius quondam ever», and Maria, daughter of the bear, offered to monasteries all their property in Lucaniaand Cilento. Later (March 1078) Lando, son of the late Russimanno, desiring to become a monk, gave the same monastery «here situm est subtus locum nucillam» all goods owned by him in «lucanie finibus «Among others confirmed to the Abbey cloisters by Gregory VII in 1073 about also the “monasterium Sancti Fabiani» .
In may, 1082, John, son of Riso of Nocella, for the Council of his wife Letizia donated to the monastery of St. Fabiano all his possessions in Lucania.More interesting, even for the procedure, the minutes of a placitum held in the Archbishopric of Salerno in October 1083. In it is a news of a trial, the presence of Sigheigaita, beauty wife of Robert Guiscard, in which contestants were the Abbot of Cava Peter of Salerno on the one hand and on the other hand Boso, viceconte del Cilento, on behalf of the State. The latter invited the great Abbot to clarify where «donimaret retineret et homines pertinentes reipublice de ipso loco cilento».
Abbot reported six monasteries, dependence teeth from monastery of Cava, which had families subject, statingwith oath (was lent from «unum hominem liberum»).These families were vassalage of the Abbey before the siege of Salerno, even before Roberto «ad castram quod retunda dicitur advenisset “This is very important because it anticipates the time of the constitution of the goods of the Abbey in Cilento, since the castle of Round seems to be in the Valley of the Mingardo, probably, as Acocella says, present-day Castel Ruggiero. From the document we learn also the count invited prior of the monastery of St Peter in Cava to read individual names of «homines» subjects to each monastery.
Performed the script containing these names, the Earl made swear to the prior that actually all those families were vassalage of the Abbey already before «supradictus dominus dux prephatam civitatem obsidendam venit cum ad ipsam Rotunda advenisset».We also learn of the eleven families living in the village of Casacastra, all of Greek or Latin or Lombards origins.In 1100 it is news of the prior of the monastery of St. Fabianie as guarantor for the monastery of Cava in the act between Bishop of Paestum, Alfano, and the monk of Cava John,«iusso mistype or petri venerabilis abbatis», about land boundaries «ubi dicitur a lo vetrano» and «li barbuti» in Cilento.
Of 1103 is the contribution of John and Rolegrima of Fattahi who donated the monastery of s. Fabiano all their existing assets in Finocchito and elsewhere. Another donation of goods was done in the same Church in 1113 by of Massacanina, Maraldo “habitator de Periniana “ The village is still news in a sale in Fiumicello made in 1165 by a monastery of John and Matthew de Maza «de Casalis sancti».In the Archive of Cave there are still seven documents of various nature. Important, even for local history, the rent that the monastery of Cava contracted with noble man «Don Giacomo Genticore» in April 1302.Other document of 1300 also cover three concessions made from the monastery to Matteo Visconti Mango for four golden ounces and four pounds of wax.
The monasterium sancti “Flavianicellis cum suis» was recognized by relevance of Abbey in the instrument of surrender of some lands and churches made by Bishop Tommaso of Capaccio of Saint Magnus, the Abbot of Cava in 1362. Ventimiglia, which places the disappeared village between Rocca and Casiglianoalso for the toponym Casacastra, mentions as well a process (or silent archival location) existing in his time in the archives of r. Chamber, between the IRS and some citizens of Cilento.It shows that, following the rebellion of Prince of Salerno, directed it claims Court, among other assets, also some sites in the territory of the fortress, including a farm of Jerome Capomazza inCasacastra said «lo Manco pertinentia de lo Castello de lo Abbate».Guillaume puts the House under the temporal domain of Abbots of Cava, then lost for the note sale to King Ladislaus.
LONGITUDE: 15.066660500000012GO TO GOOGLE MAPS