News of the toponym («in serra de monte qui est super aquabella» in the) instrument of Division, of the property in Fragina,between Prince Guaimar IV and his brothers Guido, count of Conza, and Pandolfo, Earl of Capaccio and Corneto.
More news on village are in other documents from Cava, starting with a donation of1092 to the Church of St. Nicholas the Confessor, built under the oldCastle of Capaccio, made by Gregory of Capaccio, son of countPandulf and his wife Mary, daughter of Herbert.
Among the many goodsdonated, the Church of St. Michele Arcangelo of Acquavella and othercrumbling churches existing therein with all their dependencies.From another document of Gisulf, son of countManso, nicknamed «de lo riufo” of 1114, confirming the donationmade to the Abbey by his father, is news that the Earl, along with othergoods in his possession in Cilento district, had donated to monastery also that he owned to Acquavella («in aquabella»).In 1116, ensures Guillaume, Duke William, son ofRuggiero, donated to the Abbey also lands at Acquavella. In 1118Altruda of Teano, widow of the second Lord of Novi, Williamde Mànnia, donated land to the abbey possessed by her in Acquavella's: ' ubi proprio dicitur iuncta... propinquo flubioqui se dicit Alento».
Not least a sale of 1133, and not onlyfor the term «resident» that for the first time appears in documents related to the territory. The notice informs about the existence, inthe period, of a feudal Lord in the castrum of Torricelle. Costanzo,from the village, apparently had decided to alienate even its with property ofbrother Nicholas possessed in Acquavella, because Nicholas«non voluit manere sub condicioni et in potestate de domno nostroErmanno».
With a «preceptum roboratum», the feudatory had tohaving prescribed the procedure to be followed in such cases, if Costanzo,«per iussionem de predicto clomno nostro ermanno», according to dispositions contained in the precept, sold the entire inheritanceto John, «filius quondam niceta, residente in casale ubi aquabelladicitur ".
Venereo also invokes the privilege of Frederick II, of 1231amending the fees to the vassals of the monastery until they will remainunder the Dominion of the Abbots of Cava.In the device dated 1221 is said to be of relevance of the Abbey, includingCastellabate («castrumque clienti») and the village of St. Arsenio, of St. Pietro from Polla, of St. Maria from Pertosa, of St. Barbara from Grasso (today's St. Barbara of Ceraso), of Tusciano and St. Barbara of Capaccio.By Borrello we learn that from 1392 to 1433 was Lordof Acquavella, Torricelle, Porcili, St. Giovanni, Guarazzano and Castellammare della Bruca, Francesco Capano, a relative of the Mazzeo Capano who had bought neighbouring villages by George of Alemagna.
In 1410 the village was transferred, along with all otherof the barony, to King Ladislaus and later heldby Carlo Capano with Porcili (Stella), Guarazzano and St. Giovanni. In1463 King Ferrante granted (November 27) to Roberto Sanseverinothe simple and mixed «imperio” with other powers, on all his fiefs, includingAcquavella.Very confused seems to Mazziotti the subsequent vicissitudes offief of Acquavella, especially the claims of the three feudatories Sanfelice, Capece, Zurlo and Capano.
«It is said that towards the middle of the century, continues Mazzotti, for serious disagreements occurringamong these feudatories, the Council had decided toavoid future litigation, which was awarded to Acquavella thatof the three that had been deposited the estimated price of the other twoparties, whereby the village remained» to Giuseppe Sanfelice, addingthen that in 1638 Acquavelia was owned by Giansenio Sanfelice.
In 1669 Michele Sanfelice was taxed for three fourths of the partiesof Acquavella and a fourth part of Gaudo and Torricelle. FrancescoCapano had 1st jurisdiction of second causes. G. Consalvodi Sangro, Francesco and Gabriele Capano, Scipiodel Baglivo for the fee of a tari and a pair of rattles for the feein Fontanelle (in the territory).From other documents it finds that thetitle of Duke of Acquavella was granted (September 6, 1734) toMichele Sanfelice, which already was awarded June 30, 1725the title of Marquess of Torricelle and Lord of Gaudo.
To Michael (m. December 24, 1738) succeeded Giuseppe, from whichthe titles passed to Michael (m. May 5, 1766), succeeded by another Joseph (April 23, 1767).The last feudal owner, and first ascribed to the Golden book Of Naples, Giuseppe, all titles passed to his son Francis. Predeceased the son Michele, the titles were transferredto the latter's son, also called Michael (December 1, 1799-February 28, 1854). From him, married Beatrice del Tufo, born Francesco Paolo (April 20, 1832-November 21884), from which, Gaetano (Benevento, April 5, 1869) that, with thosetitles, was ascribed to the list ofnobles and proprietors of Naples.Antonini mentions just to the village by locating it «onthe river Alento».
Giustiniani said that it hasn’t a good air because placedbetween two hills crossed by Alento.
LONGITUDE: 15.117618600000014GO TO GOOGLE MAPS