The village was an hamlet of Policastro, the county seat,which followed the fortunes.
The village is situated on a hill accessible only from one side and,in defense, with narrow streets (passing only two people) and curvesstairways, exposed to the incursions especially the Turks.
Thechurch, facing east, has as titles S. Marina and S. Calogero, saintsreflecting the Italo-Greek origin of the village.Pacichelli has 97 fires (= 485) in 1648 and 41 (people = 206) in 1669. Missing in Antonini.
Galanti has 1,226 inhabitants. Giustiniani writes that «Santamarina, Sancristofaro, and Spani » werehouses of Policastro. Bozza places the village 6 km. from Vibonatiand ensure that it was commendation of Benedictine « to which belongsthis village and another neighbor told Li Grassi ».
LONGITUDE: 15.540545100000031GO TO GOOGLE MAPS