The name derives from the noble Sicinius, as shown in the enrollment of 323 d. C «pr (atus?) Sicinianus » property of a Sicinius.Seat of the curia of William the principality, Sicignano was impregnable if they were effectively policed the famous «Nares lucanae » mentioned by Sallust, the narrow gorge of today Scorzo.
After the rapprochement between William, Count of the principality, and his brother Robert Guiscard and fall of Salerno, and that is when the danger of armed clashes passed away with the last prince of Salerno, the county seat was moved to Eboli.
It is certain that in 1086 was already Count of Sicignano and ladies of Polla Asclittino the Norman, who had married Sichelgaita, a daughter of the Earl of Capaccio and Corneto and brother Guaimario V and Theodora of Tusculum. In that year Asclittino and his wife donated to the abbey of Cava, the monastery of San Pietro di Polla.
From «Catalogus baronarum » we learn of soldiers who owned peasants to Sicignano and therefore were among the feudal lords required to provide armed for the great expedition, which he also signaled in a diploma of 1185. In fact Gismondo, lord of Rocca Romana, son of Andrea, also lord of Rocca Romana, fearing to die without having taken steps to ensure the prayers of the monks, donated, and his brother Alan, over all the assets held in Tresino and Licosa, two parts of a mill Sicignano and the lands covered by them.
The donation, however, was only valid in the case of the death in battle of Gismondo; that provision was given when he was preparing to participate in the expedition of King William.About 1188 is another document in the archive of Cava. The monastery granted to Alienda, daughter of John, to Giocolario and Darius, son of John «de farmhouses Siciniano » ground «ubi strata dicitur ».
Castle of Sicignano was then advocated to the curia by Frederick II with the obligation for the neighboring University (Cosentino, Petina, Buccino, San Mauro, San Gregorio, Ricigliano and Massa Picentina, then destroyed) to provide for possible restoration. In 1252, the executioner of the Principality, Raynaido de Guasto, examined the acts of Issues between the Church of Salerno and the mayor of Cosentino, spoke to the clear distinction between Sicignano and Cosentino, farmhouse that belonged to the church of Salerno and therefore free from any easements that Sicignano had to pay to his lords.
To tell the Duke Guard, in 1250 were the lords of the Sicignano Scillati or Stellati, family of Salerno. The feud was then occupied by Richard of Marchiapava, then declared a rebel, for which the recognition of the manor to John Scillati. The daughter Maria in 1273 married James, son of Sir Francis dell'Abetina (Petina): witnesses at the wedding were Ruggiero Sanseverino, Count of Marsico and Pandolfo of Fasanella. Duke Guard admits to not knowing how then, for the death of James and his son Hugues, were recognized as Mary the fiefs of Abetina and Romaganno, had lost Sicignano.
In Angevin age there are still received several reports including the concealment of three fires.In 1271 they were granted to Matthew of Alena, family of the king, the fiefs of Sicignano and Campora. Sort a dispute over the ownership of the village between the monastery of Venosa and Mayno Alena, lord of Sicignano, the king ordered him to return the house to the monastery of Venosa.Other orders of the king concerning harassment. It was dated in 1275 by the lord of Sicignano to the monastery of St. Benedict of Salerno and John Polla.
A Mayno or Matthew followed Baldumo who was lord of Sicignano and San Gregorio in 1273. He then married the daughter of Guido d'Alemagna, Margaret, Lady of Manfredonia. John took over in the feud, while Andrea was bishop of Melito. A John followed in the barony of Sicignano,
Romagnano, Palo and others, his son Peter then rebel. With him, the abbot of Montevergine, exchanged or Rupa Galdo said the feud with the village of Venticano where the Abbot founded the abbey of Santa Maria, goods then attributed by Paul V to the Vatican Library.
At the time of King Ferrante was reinstated in his ancient heritage Giovanni d'Alagna, son of Lancelot, with the condition to leave Sicignano to Caracciolo family. In 1474 Giovanni d'Alagna tried to occupy Sicignano going as far as eight miles from the feud, when he received an order to desist by the king, on pain of death, and to retire in his feuds.
The feud was then returned to the taxman by the son of Barnabas Caracciolo, sir of Sicignano in 1580, for lack of heirs.In 1634 Peter of Ceriolo Sicignano poured to brothers Ricciardi from Salerno 57 ducats. This family, reserving the title of duke, sold Sicignano, San Gregorio, Castellabate, Rapone to the regent Giacinto Falletti, duke of Cannock.
After the death of Hyacinth in 1722, the daughters Mary Joseph and Anna brought a dowry, the first one, two portions of the barony of Sicignano to the rider Piedmont Teodoro Falletti, the second one, who married the Duke of Laviano, brought him the remainder.
This was possible because Sicignano was fief divisible. Sicignano had thus two barons. Maria Josefa had one daughter, Elena Dionisia, who married Prince Castellaneta, from which three children were born.
The only surviving married Count of Turin, captain of the guards of the King of Sardinia and Duke of Savoy. Anna was the mother of a male still living at the end of 1700. The heirs divided the barony. The Countess of None had Sicignano with the fiefs of San Nicandro and Zuppino, Peel, Galdo and Newfoundland.
To the heirs of the Countess of Laviano went fiefs of St. Gregory and Rapone. In the village there were two parish churches, then joined and served by the clergy, the church of St. Matthew the Apostle, which is located in a silver arm a finger of the Apostle; and the church of Santa Margherita headed by a collegiate primicerius erected in 1577 by Bishop Belo of Capaccio who resided in Salerno for his infirmities.The feast of St. Margaret (July 20) was held before the church a trade of animals and goods.
In Sicignano there was still the church of Santa Maria the elder, a time close to a Carmelite convent, where before it had been found an image of the Virgin with the Child Jesus on a dhow, immediately placed in a shrine. De Stefano said that in the first half of 1700, the Virgin appeared in a dream archpriest Gallop inviting him to replace a church with the existing kiosk, invitation then also turned to a little girl of about six years playing in front of the newsstand.
The priest began the construction of the church including in it also the elder.Far from Sicignano there was a Capuchin monastery with a vast garden irrigation. Not far away was the Carmelite convent with the church before which he was killed the brother of the Baron, the crime that shocked the brothers to the point of persuading them to leave the convent.
The church was then entrusted to a beneficiary. With a will of 1673, the archpriest of Sicignano, Camillo Ferramiento, left all his property to the church of San Michele Arcangelo with the stipulation that in his house was to be established a nunnery. The goods would have to be administered by John Gallop and Domenico Apice.The University of Sicignano possessed the right prohibitive furnaces whose incomes were devolved annually for 30 ducats to two poor girls.
De Stefano says Sicignano had several hamlets: St. Martin, St. Peter, St. Andrew, said Vignani Cosentini and New Castle, where he had another tower.In the late 1700s there were only Galdo and Newfoundland.
LONGITUDE: 15.31036419999998GO TO GOOGLE MAPS