SAN BIASE

Autonomous University until his aggregation to Ceraso (km. 3). From Salerno Km. 93.



The first news of S. Biase dates back to a document of 993, of which Antonini brings a song that recalls the river « qui bocatur Paliscus et descendit de S. de Blasio quem ad pontem de Isca »in the district «Stanfella», near the place where the river is captured from Alento.

The first group was formed just around the church dedicated toS. Biase by Greek monks who from Velia, the valley of Bruce,had arrived there after building church of St. Barbara. But, if it is noteasy to determine which community of monks, that of Santa Barbara or Santa Maria Pattano has pushed up to Vallo and between Angellara and Mojo to built the churches of St. Panteleimon. and St. Venera, it is more probably that it was precisely the monks of St. Barbara to build church and the monastery of St. Marina de lo Grasso.

It is not excluded that the samemonks dates from the ancient rite that is practiced in the church of S. Biasethe day of his celebration: the priest greases the throat of the faithful with oil blessed at the altar of the saint.
Always Antonini informs us that in S. Biase «It contained even a hospital site along the church of St. Mary of the Martyrs.».

It should immediately said that required hospital should not be identified with the concept of hospitalmodern. In fact, almost everywhere, in the hamlets of the area, use is made ofterm «hospitale 'to designate a charity limited to one-two basements that were used to accommodate pilgrims or the sick morefor Christian solidarity that for curative reasons.

It seems that in the coursethe epidemic of 400 the hospital of S. Biase is also largerusing adjacent rooms. If it is true that in the house have also workedthe Benedictines, this will be only after the disappearance of the monksItalian-Greek founders of the town.

The arrival of the Benedictines in the house may have been determinedby donation of Nicholas de Mannia, after his wife's death Alessandrina and with the consent of his son William.In that document, there are two very significant news,one about the village of S. Biase by 'quondam casali Novi »which would suggest that the village has suffered from separation of Novi been operating agreements with Tomasa de Mannia or for donationof the Baron of Marzano, so it would also explain the news contained the Altarpiece of St. Barbara of «Saints Blasii Baronis»; the second, concerning the name «vinee que dicitur de Abbate» which refers to the existenceof an older monastery Italo-greek, if the term does not refer toan ecclesiastical title of the pastor's house.In 1463, King Ferrante gave S. Biase to his son in-law Antonio Piccolomini of Aragon, Duke of Amalfi.

But in the act of donation made in 1466 to GiovanBaptist Saracino of the hamlets of Montano and Massicelle, is not the house of S. Biasethat the king had given with the other two to his son in-law. In 1508 Berlingieri Carrafa,succeeded to Marzano in barony, granted to Matthew S. Biase Pavone of Venosa.

In 1538 Ettore Pignatelli, Count of Borrello, alienated the house with thetitle of Baron, but with the right of redemption, to Vincenzo Pavone, husband of Lucrezia Loffredo of Cuccaro. On August 29, 1543 Jonicello Pavone stipulated in Montano, in the presence of the notary Lorenzo Pauceriis of Massicelle, an act in which he gives the title of baron of S. Biase.

In 1578 he was master of the house who had married the daughter Vittoria Scipione Antonini of Cuccaro.
It also emerges that towards the end of '600 were Barons of S. Biasethe De Stefano, barons of Casalnuovo. Indeed, D. Aniello had contracted a debit with D. Alfonso Antonini of 7838 ducats.

Probably StefanoAntonini had to give some right on S. Biase if CamillaAntonini, on the occasion of her marriage to Gerolarno Farao of Can-nalonga, she brought a dowry also rights of S. Biase.

On March 1, 1794, Baron G. Battista de Stefano sells sub-feudof the land of S. Biase to Doctor Celestino de Mattia and said that he had received this feudfor the sale and renunciation for the benefit of his Father, Baron D. Nicholas, and his uncle, Baron D. Ermenegildo, made by the famous Barons Antonino of Cuccaro.

In the Acts of state property is often mentioned Thomas Valiante as abaron of the place, so it is to be supposed that the great «censuista» of the goods ofPattano Abbey had acquired in early 8oo by de Mattia,some rights to protect what house until the abolition of feudalism.

Feast of Saint Blaise

3 february

Festival of homemade bread

August 27th and 28th

See more

Restaurant L'intingolo

+39 393 868 1086

See more

HOW TO REACH US


GPS COORDINATES

LATITUDE: 40.2027487

LONGITUDE: 15.280409500000019

GO TO GOOGLE MAPS

Cultural Association "Cilento on the road"

Via S. Anna, 20 - 84050 Rocca Cilento (SA) - Italy