As is known the Valley of Tanagro was intensely populated inArchaic period: every hill overlooking the valley had a settlement: Sala, Padula, Athena, Teggiano, Polla and Pertosa.
The ancient necropolis of Sala is a document of that, where they were provided to datelight over 1300 graves with over thirteen thousand objects. Tombs enotrio-ausoniche (ninth century) of buried and cremated, with rich sets of Protogeometric Apulian-Italiot pottery and numerous objects (bronze, iron,especially amber), with prevailing material mixing.
Panebianco has supposed for that the arrival, towards the middle of the eighth century BC, of a population that introduced the burial customs of thecremation with burial mounds of Anatolian origin.
Burial ornamentsshow a very flourishing market with thethe Achaean colonies of the Ionian Coast.There have been developed light also tombs phase ioniea and archaic(VII-V century BC.), All for burial with great kits (pots poly-chrome style geometric showing relationships with VeliaLucan tombs (IV-II cent. BC) near Padula.Lack of secure documents Lombard and Norman periods.
The news began to thicken only in Swabian age. Federico IIhad granted to Thomas Sanseverino the castle situated on a steepleaps, to which the Emperor laid siege.Stormed the castle,Federico ordered its destruction. The castle was then restoredbefore the emperor's death (1250) and to the reconstruction contributedSala, Padula, Diano and farmhouses, Polla with the hamlet of St. Pie-tro and Athena. In 1252 it was shot in Sala a dispute already judged in Eboli by Curia on May of that year.
Curia sanctioned membership in the Church of the farmhouse of SalernoCosentino. Previously the Curia was referred to by AquaraRepresentatives of Sicignano and Cosentino. The latter assertioncompartment that the village had been donated from Prince Gisulfo to the churchof Salerno, which had also had other by Robert Guiscardo, demonstrating that they had never been vassals of the lord of Sicignano. After 1266 Roger of Sanseverino had confirmedfiefs of Athena, of Sala and Teggiano.
In 1295 Thomas (II) of Sanseverino was again confirmed the fief of Sala.There are reports of '300. It should be remembered that Sala had 4 hamlets: S. Angiolo, St. Nicholas, St. Lucia and St. Damian. Sant'Angiolo and San Damiano were given by Sanseverino sub-feud in the family Valenzano for a hawk hunting year. The rider John Valenzano founded a monastery of nuns of San Bernardo, dedicated to S. Angelo, which was later approved and confirmed by Bishop Philipof Santomagno.
This bishop also confirmed in the same yearLocal foundation of the Crociferi. In 1348 the villages of Sala depopulated by the plague, except for the village of San Damiano. In thattime took refuge in Sala the last inhabitants of Marcelliana.
In the Archives of Cava there are some scrolls dating to 300. It should be rememberedthat in 1497 King Frederick, besieged Salerno, went to Lagopiccolo,Eboli, Buccino, Caggiano, Polla and on October 30 in Sa1a. As known Frederick of Aragon with 20,000 men besieged Sala, but rose immediately the siege of the castle to go to Diano. Roberto Sanseverino, for debts incurred by his father sold it to Padula Monastery on 15 March 1508 for ducats 1200 owned by the family in Marsico and Sala.
On October 20, 1521 Bishop Galeota joined to the church ofSt. Peter the revenues of the local hospital. In 1513-1514 was preceptor of Sanseverino for Sala Leonetto Bigot. In 1520 Sala gave adonation to the Prince of Salerno of ducats 150. At the time of Ferrante SanseverinoBartholomeo Pasello was his Treasury for Sala. Gatta remembers that Charles V, returning from 'Company of Tunis, on November 151535 stopped for lunch in Sala. Lionetto Mazzacane, Baron of Omi-gnano, «suffeudatario » of Prince Ferrante Sanseverino had the responsability for overseeing the receipt of the emperor.
In Spanish agethe lands of Sala (331 fires) and Athena (211 fires) were sold toPrince of Stigliano for 11,750 ducats. The feud rustic of St. Angelo, with its castle, was often visited by Sanseverinoand his officers for its great location on the road of Calabria.In Sala there was the well-known event which Volpi writes about thedeath of the governor and the sale of Sala to Francesco Filomarino Prince of Rocca dell'Aspro (Roccadaspide), an event that forced theBishop to take refuge in Pisciotta to avoid being deported prisonerin Spain.
By Cedolario we learn that even at 21 June 1757 the DukeCalà Diano had the jurisdiction of the first and second causes ofSala, while all the other belonged to the university.Galanti informs us of the population of Sala (5489), whileAlfano clarifies that the family Arezzo had the right to appoint the governor and the family of Caracciolo mastrodattia. Giustiniani is polemic against Antonini « could say something more than such a country ».
He puts Sala 50 miles from Salerno and describesthe village as one of the best in the Vallo di Diano for positionand buildings, including the bishop's palace, the seat of one of the vicars generalthe diocese. Imputes to plague the severe shortage demographic, soyet in 1737 there were just 227 families (people 1135).
From 13rd to 15th septemberSee more
From september 27th to 29thSee more
LONGITUDE: 15.590801499999998GO TO GOOGLE MAPS