On the origin of the village spreads Antonini, who believesthat the oldest part (casavietri, old houses) waslocating near the parish church. In fact, in thischurch and at the top of the two small aisles, Antonini writes that he saw the doors of the cells of the monks of the local monastery,while in the church of S. Sophia of the Congregation of St. Maryof Sorrows, he would see Greek and Latin inscriptions. He also says that in«Some old maps take in the site in early timesthe name of Sirignano. »
The grandson of Antonini, the Greek scholar MazzarellaFarao who edited the second edition of «Lucania », noted that thevillage, called first Sirignano (wooded, watery; S.Mauro, homonymous Benedictine Abbot), had to exist before ofdestruction of Petilia, the capital of Lucania that Antonini hadlocated on top of Mount Stella. In addition to the settlements of Sorrentini, tlo Ratto, Valloncelia, Serra, Casal sottano and Casal soprano, that Mazzotti states existed still in his day, Antonini writes that he also saw «rough stones and small ruins »of Sammati, the Croce and Palmenta, which Mazziotti adds Quarrata and Stabiano.
Antonini still reports the feud of Cerzagallara, of which, athis day, were only the ruins of a convent of Carmelite. The feud,then became feud rustic, had been donated by the principles of SalernoNicola Salorso, designated by the diploma «nobilis Juvenis'. In his day, continuing Antonini, there was theConfraternity of St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows in «a temple » (ruins)said St. Sofia, for which, he assumes, the probable origin of the Greekplace said Sirignano.
The oldest document that informs the existence of the villageis a donation of 1092 of Peter, son of Alferius, and John,son of Pando, «qui sumus abitantes de sancto mauro ». The twosammauresi, «qui sumus thios et nepotes », wanting to put the monastic dressin the monastery of St. Archangel, at the presence of the viceCount Giovanni, of the judge Lando « et aliorum plurimis honorumhominum », offered to the monastery grounds with trees thatthey sat at Ancilia Dei.
Since November of that year 1092 is asale drawn in St. Lucia, in which one of the witnesses subscribesclaiming to be «de sancto mauro. » In a document issued in July 1110 by Judge Maraldo in churchof Sant'Arcangelo in Perdifumo, we learn of the presence, duringprocess, of the great abbot Peter from Cava, of Grimoaldo, son of the priest Desideo, from Omignano, of the priestDesideo, son of Stephen Sessa, the vice-count Stefano, sonof Orso, « de loco Sancti mauri », of Orso, son of Marangiand of Lando, son of Addaddo, both from Copersito. Among «fidejussori »,also «Petrum de Sancti mauri », son of Radoaldo from Vatolla.
In October 1113, Troisio of Montemiletto, to thank the monhs and the abbot Peter of Cava who had prayed for him and for his family, gave to the Abbey an unknown number of families subject to him living «apud cilentum », and properly in the marina of Cilento, S. Mauro and Fiumicello. Ne1 1172, Goffredo Corbella, son of Ruggiero, and his wife Fenizia, sold to abbot of CavaBenincasa nine estates in the district of Cilento and along its marina for 16ounces of gold and 800 tari of Salerno.
Among them, the feud rustic of Orso Gattto « in loco S. Mauri. »At the time of Frederick II the village was held to the restoration of the castle of Sicignano. In the Angevin Registers the village is also referred ashamlet of Santo Mauro. It suffered considerable damage during the warAngevin-Aragonese, as stated in the request for tax cutsObtained on 27 November 1304. In 1367 it was still in possessionof Abbey, as it was until 1410, when half that it was for the Badia passed to King Ladislaus.
The other half had to be preserved by the Sanseverino until ribellyon of Antonello. Certainly king Ferrante gave the feud to Giovannatonio Poderico from which was removed when Ferdinand the Catholic returned it to Roberto Sanseverino, son of Antonello. Roberto investedof the estate of S. Mauro Bernardino Griso, which he sold to the jurist Gian Cola de Vicariis «with the bench of Justice, civil jurisditione and «Bagliva » and income for 200 ducats, »sale approved from the Prince of Salerno on September 25, 1519. Other parts werestill sold by the Griso to de Vicariis.
He sold the estate toFabrizio Poderico, from which it passed to his daughter Mary, who alienatedS. Mauro and S. Teodoro, for debts of his father, Baron of Celsus, toAntonio Griso. Ne1 1597 Antonio and G. Battista sold the Grisofeud with Cannicchio for d. 21,000 to Bishop Corcione,from which it passed to his son Rinaldo, who in 1620 sold the land freeS. Mauro, Cannicchio and Marina Lazzaruolo (Acciaroli) for d.7000, to Hippolyta Carbone, Marchioness of Padula.
In 1656 the feud, with Ortodonico and Cosentini, was bought by Pompilio Gagliani of Amalfi,who in 1644 had married Constance Giudice. Gagliano in1687 obtained on the feud the title of marquis. In 1722, however, another Pompilio Gagliano sold the estate for d. 40,000 to ThomasSpada, President of the Royal Room of Sommaria and Marquis ofSt. John in Frosolone in Molise.
Thomas was succeeded by the childrenGennaro and Vincenzo, who in 1745 granted S. Mauro, with villages of Sorrentini, Ratto, Valloncella and Casal soprano and sottanoto sister Jeanne, Marchioness of St. John in Frosolone, who married G.Baptist Piccirilli. The son of them, Joseph, Marquis of St.Mauro and S. Giovanni in Frosolone, resigned in 1777 to S. Mauroin favor of the second brother Gennaro Maria. In 1802 the marquisesThomas, Joseph, Teresa, Mariana and Mariangela Piccirillisold the estate consists of five houses, to Francesco Vetere,who, as we learn from Cedolario, obtained the header on5 November 1802.
From Francis, president of the Chamber R. DeilaSummary, the estate passed to his son Nicholas (born July 15, 1791), fatherFrancis (born December 20, 1832), who, by his wife LauraCaracciolo Capriglia, had Nicholas (b. August 26, 1864). He, withthe deceased parent, was ascribed to the list of noble and titled theregion with the title of noble and the predicate of S. Mauro.
LONGITUDE: 15.047735999999986GO TO GOOGLE MAPS