The most ancient news probably goes up again to the constitution of the County of Capaccio and Corneto from Guaimario V (IV) granted to his brother Pandolfo on the occasion of his wedding with Teodora of Tuscolo.
A local tradition narrates of arrival in the place of S. Pietro, which, after having celebrated a mass, he left a preserved spiritual book on the altar of the church devoted to the apostles Phillip and Giacomo. But it is to suppose that the inhabited area has risen around the monastery «villanu de monachi greci» that possessed immovable goods and furniture among which three Greek codes.
The most ancient document reached that mentions the place dating July of 1047. It says: «Amatus, dominoes gratia episcopus pestani sedis » which premised that Pandolfo, the prince's child Guaimario IV (III), had made to build «in propria sua re in loco cornitu, finibus Caputaquis» the church of holy Preparation (S. Vennera, S. Venus, S. Veneranda personification of holy Friday), he asked him to exempt said church from his jurisdiction. Exposed the application to the clergy and seemed favorable, the bishop consented receiving of it, for the necessities of the «episcopio» « sex libras silvers ».
Church then probably united to the monastery given by the same Pandolfo to the italo-Greek cenobio of S. Sofia of Salerno, of ownership of the heirs of the count, that then Moscato granted in the December of 1052 to the monk Nicola, child of the was monk Leonzio. After the death of Pandolfo, count of Capaccio and Corneto, hastened to defend the prince Guaimario V (IV), then also killed him on the salernitan shores (July 1052), the county was divided among the different children.
Among them, the quarter, Giovanni that married Altruda of Sessa, from which Jordan, which in 1086 gave for soul to the Abbey of Cava the church of S. Venus, «que east sita in loco quodam tenimenti. corniti, prope casale russino (old Roscigno or disappeared village). Important document for the concession of the privilege «pascendi, lignandi, boscandi» in the whole territory of Corneto. Among the sons of Pandolfo there was also the second, Gregorio, gentleman of Capaccio, as is read in a donation of 1092 with which Gregorio, with his wife Maria, Herbert's daughter, gave to their church «ac honorem beati confessoris nicolay», built under the old castle of Capaccio, «ubi proper casa vetere dicitur», vassals and some churches, among which the third part of the church of S. Maria «intra castellum cornetu» of S. Maria out corneto and of S. Pietro «suptus ipso castro cornitu» (strengthened inhabited area). In 1137 the above-mentioned Jordan gave to the Abbey, with the usual formula cause benedictionis that lied the sale, some lands to Fragina and to Acquavella, receiving l50 of tarì of Salerno.
Also this document is important because besides telling us some extension of the given goods, it informs us about part of the vast relative of Jordan.In angevin age the village was kept to contribute to the reparations of the castle of Capaccio. In 1294 «hominum Corneti de Principality» they exposed to the vicar of the kingdom, Charles Martello, to have suffered notable damages to the possessions and the people for the war that was also fought there. They had therefore gotten by the «camerario», Giovanni of Monforte the exemption dahlias taxes. But the executioner of the Principality, few taking care of such ordinance, pretended the payment of the taxes.
The vicar Charles Martello from S.Erasmo ordered to executioner to follow the had of the «camerario».In the notes also reinstates some feuds the «Reditus terrae Corneti de Principality». Beltramo Sanseverino, count of Caiazzo, was gentleman of it, then his child Leonetto and his nephew Roberto, that was gentleman of it in the 1430. But to the vassals we have also add the son of king Carlo II, Raymond Berengario that left the feuds of Aquara and Corneto. In 1306, therefore, the king invested the mirite Senescallo and relative of the child of the king, Rainaldo Clignetti, feud whose income amounted to 24 ounces. In the 1457 king Ferrante of Aragon assigned Albanella, Corneto, Campora, Felitto, Persano and Roscigno to Roberto Sanseverino.
In 1459 in the sentence of reinstates of some feudal goods for Roberto Sanseverino, compiled in form of public istrumento, it is news in a document of 1318 with the confinements of Corleto that allowed to settle a secular matter of confinements with S. Arsenio. Aforesaid goods were summoned to the revenue in 1501 for rebellion of Giovan Francis Sanseverino and then granted by king Federico to the king Ferrante of Aragon.
Feuds then returned to the Sanseverino for the arrived unexpectedly peace, and again devolved to the revenue for the same crime of betrayal in the 1528. In 1530 the feud of Corneto was purchased by Camillo Pignatelli, count of Borrello, but then they got back the Sanseverinos that sold it, with Campora and Felitto, for d. 15.000 to Michael Soria. This, in 1531, revenges the feuds for d. 16.200 to Pippo Arcamone, with pact of repurchases, that surrendered the rights of it (1548) to Beatrice Zurlo, widow of Roberto of the Touch. In 1551 was gentleman of it Camillo Lucio, which, in 1558, revenged Corneto to Marcello Pescara, which, in turn, in 1562, sold it to Andrew Cosco. In the 1597 Constancy Conclubet, mother of Scipione Cosco, sold to Lucrezia of the Hoe, widow of Fabio Marchese for d. 13.600.
In 1606 the feud was purchased to the auction by Patrician Cineccio, wife of Giannicola de Fedullis of Pattano of Novi to Joseph followed. He had from his marriage six females and two males killed by Diego della Palma in 1654, so the feud touched to the first-born Caspida, then widow of Giulio Sava of Sant'Angelo, that revenged the feud to the regent duke Giacomo Galeota in the 1667. The Capeces Galeota still possessed it at the end of 1700.
LONGITUDE: 15.378502799999978GO TO GOOGLE MAPS