Not so much news about the village, most about the place Vito, home of Abbey of Santa Maria of Vito.
The village always followed the fortunesof Laurino where on 9 August 1591 John Carafa obtained the title of Duke. The title was tied to Laurino with Piaggine Sopraneand Sottane (today Valley of the Angel) and the predicates of Aquara, Ca-stelluccio, Fornilli (Fornelli) and Fogna (Villa Littorio). The estate passed,then, from Vittorio Carafa, to his nephew Joseph Spinelli.
On 10June 1780 Vincenzo Spinelli had it by inheritance from his father Troia-no (d. September 1, 1777) with Castelluccio, Fornelli and Fogna. The title was of Spinelli family up to the abolition of feudalism.
Giustiniani puts the village on a false floor to 38 miles fromSalerno with a population in 1595 («tax oldest known to me»,he writes) of 60 fires (pop. 330), to 66 in 1648 (people = 330) and only 20(= 100) in 1669. In his time the village counted 650 people betweenfarmers and shepherds. Galanti noted 636, the 563 Alfano.Di Stefano says that in a valley called Arenare, amile from the West « is flowing perennial abundantgiving water, and in winter time there is none at all, but it isarid ».
More news on the abbey of Santa Maria of Vito situated belowthe village of Fogna, towards Bellosguardo, in the locality called Vito.Originally a monastery independent of Italian-Greek monks, became the Grandness of the great abbey of Grottaferrata that inperiod of its decline was joined to the Italian-Greek abbey ofSt. Peter at Tomusso Montesano. This abbey recentlykept a monk for maintenance of worship and administra-tion of assets. It should be remembered that the Abbey of St. Mary is already newsin the diploma in greek of King Roger of Sicily in Palermo releasedin the year 1131, when the existing assets in the territory of today Cilento, employees from the Italian-Greek Abbey of St. Mary of Rofrano,were recognized Greek owned by the abbey of Grottaferrata.With this award King Roger confirmed the donations made by theRuggiero cousin and son of man, William. All goods then soldto Certosa of Padula.
In 1709 Nicola Maranci, procurator of the monastery of St. Pietro in Montesano of Basilian fathers asked the Chamber to allowthe creation of an inventory of the property belonging to the monasteryof St. Peter, including the grange of S. Maria di Vito.
Threecopies of the inventory of which is news: « was a bank of Basilefor a process between university of Laurino and to Rofrano »; asecond one is in the ASS, a third one in the ADV.
Platea shows that only eight people (six illiterate and two craftsmen) denounced to own property of St. Mary in Fogna (termskidneys and houses). Besides the rights attached to the feud, including the agronomist Collarelli claimed to have designed the plant, the goods were made upmore wooded (Tomola 19.4) by a ground working (Tomola two) and a house.The local parish of St. John Baptist had joined the Collegiate of S. M. Laurino which held a canon and a priest.
There was also a chapel in the village of Saint Mary of Constantinople.
LONGITUDE: 15.337140399999953GO TO GOOGLE MAPS