Licosa, Castrum Lycusii, La Licosa, Licosa. Disappeared village. Situated in the commune of Castellabate. From Salerno Km. 72.

The name recalls the legend of the sirens, one of the three (Partenope in Naples, Leucosia and Ligea) that gave name to the islet in front of Point Licosa, the ancient promontory Enipeo of Licofrone and Posidio for Strabone. G. Deacon, in his Chronicle, remembers that in the year 845 an Arabic consignment attacked the islands of Ponza and Licosa to which followed the consignment of the Neapolitan duke Sergio.

Guillaume affirms that «the Licosa », near Castellabate, was a «bourgade» granted in the August of 1080 from Roberto Guiscardo to the Abbey, whose temporal dominion was lost in 1410. In 1090, Riccardo, «cognomento senescalcus», Drogone's son, said to have received «for domnum Roggerium, gloriosum ducem, omnes res» that are been forfeited («infiscate sunt») to Giovanni, child of the count Truppoaldo and to the son, «in locis trissinum et staynum et licose».

«Divine gratia inspiratus» Riccardo, the same duke Ruggiero foresees, offered to the monastery of Cavs all of his existing goods in Lucania. In 1109 in the monastery of Cava, to the presence of judge Pietro, Giorioso, child of the was count Pandolfo, put an end to the controversy with the monastery around « rebus stabilibus » that had been of count Mansone, brother of the same Pandolfo. Goods situated to Licosa, Tresino and to St. Zaccaria and all in the territory of Cilento e «Li Lauri».

The count Glorioso recognized the things that abbot Pietro had affirmed and that is that Mansone and his child Gisulfo had offered the fourth part of the monastery of St. Zaccaria to the abbot Pietro.Ventimiglia remembers then how Glorious, the count's child Pandolfo, during his last infirmity prepared (1112) to his death his child Simone, to make him bury in the monastery of Cava, he gave to the aforesaid monastery the third part of the Licosa mountain or one hundred money.
With another donation (1113) also the other three parts of mountain came to the monastery, also the part of Emiliana wife of the aforesaid Glorious count. In the 1114 Landolfo, the count's child Mansone and his brothers Guido and Alexander, children of the was Gisulfo, then monk whose rests were buried in the monastery of Cavs, declared that the respective father and ancestor « had offered the fourth part of the monastery of St. George, built in the district of Cilento, «illa departs fluminis quod dua flumina dicuntur», and the fourth part of the monastery of St. Zaccaria of Lauri.

All of this together with how much the aforesaid Mansone possessed to Acquavella, Licosa, Tresino and Staino. Licosa is always mentioned in the documents concerning Tresino. It is also sign in an interesting document dating May 1185. Gismondo of Rocca Romana, child of the was Andrew, gentleman of that feud, must follow the king in a war enterprise and «timens ibi intestatus decederet», to the presence of judge Giovanni and others, prepared his ownership and of his brother Andrew, among which the third part of all the possessed were transferred to monastery of Cava.

In October of 1189 Orso of Mansella sold to the monastery lands in the «tenimento» of Cilento «in loco licosa» for 50 gold ounces. In the November 1193 Phillip, «qui dicitur princeps» with the consent of the abbot granted the whole halves of the earths possessed by the monastery of Cava « prope ecclesiam s. marie de licosa » to Giovanni said Fasano, child of Costantino, and to Pietro, said Cicari, child of the was Orso. In abbot Thomas' Regestrum is mentioned gold tarì from Giovanni di Santoro.

What to Licosa there was an inhabited area also strengthened notices from the angevin Registers. In «castrum Lycusii» were deposited 27 corpses of mile that had to be assistant to the existing mile in other places strengthened for general 1670 corpses and 4 tomolas. Is also news that the merchant Giovanni of Forno of Ravello, returning from Sicily on a boat of Gaeta, while it was drawing near «locum qui dicitur Caput Nicose Punta di Licosa iuxta casale Pissotte», some men that were there with one «armed boat» picked him up, hurt him and they robbed («abstulerunt ei piraticum») him of 42 gold ounces with other effects of the value of 35 ounces.

The merchant therefore begged the king to make him return the twisted ache. King Carlo ordered to provide to that was not verified anymore.We have a news that during the truce, during the angevin-Aragonese war, Masino from Amalfi and Pagano, with an armed galleon, attacked Walter Orlando of Castellabate and his boat, freeing him only after the payment of 31 gold ounces. Then they attacked, near Licosa, Giovanni Maniteo, coming from Sicily, with his boat direct to Castellabate, stripping him of everything.
The prince Charles ordered to make to indemnify the damages suffered by the two amalfitanis and to provide that such things were not verified anymore. In 1696 some cappuccinis, wanting to build on the island an hospital for the monks that came from Sicily and from Calabria, recovered rests of material tile and a necropolis. The island was said also «Petra», because it is a naked rock-cliff.Antonini writes that to Licosa, as to Castellabate, Socia, S. Mauro, Galdo, Celso, Pollica grew «abundant» the saffron.

He also remembers they recovered coins and that perhaps Simmaco possessed a villa when he was proofreader of the Lucania (365) to the times of the first Valentiniano. In the 1622 Licosa was busy by the pirates of Biserta. At the end of the '700 it were possessed by the family Granito, marquises of Castellabate. Object of a contended judicial among the family Belmonte and the family Boroli. At the end of this long judicial argument the Promontory, in 2007, has returned again to make part of the patrimony of the family Granito of Belmonte.

Farmhouse La Gabbianella e il Gatto

+39 0975 520119

See more



LATITUDE: 40.2492087

LONGITUDE: 14.910870799999998


Cultural Association "Cilento on the road"

Via S. Anna, 20 - 84050 Rocca Cilento (SA) - Italy