Since '600 they tried to change the name to the house by replacingCornito, which even the slightest inflection in the pronunciation wasname cause for derision, with the new name of Vallo. Butthe ancient name was too common because they could suddenly erase the memory, so it is folded at first on Cori known in official documents (seal of the university).
Antoninitried to ennoble the etymology making descend from Roman legionof «Cornicolari » that would set aside in a vallum, around which would then built the house. The most reliable derivation of the name remains, therefore, that of the above plant, as has happened for Ceraso, Cannalonga,Castinatelli, Perito, plants took root in different locations.
The dogwood also flowed in the vicinity of Gioi, so there was the locality «The Cornito » (still in 1743), and near Capaccio, in Corneto, abig hamet located on a hill.The town, already in Greek age, was a crossroads of greatstrategic importance if Velia, watching the fertile terraces that from the foot ofNovi slope towards the south-west, strengthened, with that of Civitella,even the hill of Novi.
It is certain that the ancient and recent excavations of palaces con-tinue to bring to light storerooms of Roman coins, which would confirmthese historical reminders.It is certain, however, that in the mid-tenth century the town wasjoined by Italian-Greek monks. The header of the church to St. Pantalion and use in it the rite greek, constitute a significant clue aboutthe presence on the site of a Byzantine community.
But the element moreprobative is in a parchment of 1052, preserved in the Archive of Cava, with which Moscato, abbot of the of St. Sofia Italo-greek monasteryof Salerno gave to «nicolaus presbiter et filius monachus quon-dam Leonti monachus integrum monasterium bocabulum sancte beneride locum curnitu pertinentem eidem ecclesie».
The document of 1052, however, informs us that at that time the stewardBerteraimo lived «on site curnitu. » Evidently the place was chosen not only by the official because it was a road junction easilyaccessible, but also because it represented a real development polestatement that the market, we will see more and more flourish in norman age, was a solid strength.
The economic growth of the hamlet remained in the years following a rapid pace if, just beyond the «flubio Nobe » (then Stellettani, Barchera, Varchera, today creek Fabbrica), had gatheredother nucleiusof families who soon took the size of anotherhamlet which took its name from the term of uncertain origin Spio and that continuedto benefit of the development of Cornito. However, it was in Norman age that thislast reached the peak of its productivity growth, when,in tribute to its geographical position the lords of Novi transfered the market of the village, which took place in the morning hourson Sunday, while on other days continued to be held in Novi,the seat of the barony.
Since the days of Frederick II the population of the countryside, ie of the<< State >>, flowed every Sunday to Cornito to shop or sellthe goods.The prosperity of the hamlet urged the ambitions of many who do not left out opportunity to make sure of the possession. It seems that King Ferrante had donated, along with Sala and Salella, to the Ratta, counts ofCaserta and barons of Castellammare of La Bruce (Velia).
Count Giovanni had married Anna Orsini of principles of Salerno, who gave birth to Catherine who married Caesar of Aragon, bastard son of the king. it seems that just the Count John had offered the estate and the hamlet toHoly House of the Annunciation of Naples. But there are other documentsthat tell us that the donation to the Holy House has instead occurred in1445, with deed drawn up in the castle of Roccaglioriosa, the work of Francesco Sanseverino, Baron of Cuccaro, while by a leaseof the time, we learn that the Holy House of Naples, had not full possession of the hamlet but only civil jurisdiction and mixed.Other sources tell us that Cornito, with Sala and Salella,then passed to the son of John de Licteriis, Daniel, who died on 25aprile1426.
Duke John Antonio Marzano on 1 March 1431 gave the sub-feud to the latter's son, Francesco, who had the assense of Queen Giovanna II on 1 July 1434, and then by the latter to Littorello de Licteriis. On April 11, 1445 succeeded by his daughter Lionetta that also had the power to give to the improvement the starza of Gioi and forest of Cigliuti.Following the rebellion of Marino Marzano, Lionetta, fearing,that King Ferrante could confiscate those hamlets, on 20 April 1464 entreated him because he confirmed the possession of them affirming to have received it by paternal succession.
What the king did with the usual clause«fidelitate nostra ». On 20 June 1476 Lionetta, also authorized by thehusband Giovanni Antonio Morra, Neapolitan nobleman, donated Cornito withnotarial act by Aniello de Pillelis of Castelforte, resident in Naples, to theHoly House of the Annunciation with the adjacent civil jurisdiction, the taxes, the Bagliva of Sala and Salella, territories, mills, oil mills, etc., withthe proviso, however, that not would sell them.
The house of the Annunciation, in addition to the maintenance of hospitals, had createdin 1538, to counter the activities usurer of the time, a pawnshop.In 1756 Maresca rented all the claims of Vallo to the magnificent Barnaba Pinto for 200 ducats, which, however, the Marquis of Novi does not allow the exercise of jurisdiction mixedTo Stephen Maresca succeded Giuseppe Maresca who appointed Dr.Nicola Lettieri his vicar in Vallo. Baron claims that the universitywould pay for him the R. Collette, which the local parliament would notaccept and he entrusted to Paul Pignataro, Chief Elected, to bringthe question before the Sacred R. Council.
Then, when the Court in addition to usurp the jurisdiction mixed, claims (in 1788) alsocivil jurisdiction and other rights, Vallo joined to Maresca empowering tothe mayor, Nicola Lettieri, to defend the rights of Maresca.Maresca retained possession of the house until the abolition of feudalism.To the advent of Joseph Bonaparte on the throne of Naples on 15 February 1806, the Administration on May 4 of that year choses whatits representatives for the wishes of the king and the doctors Nicola Salvatore de Matthias. On 20 July 1806 the Bourbons of Vallo and Spio rebelled. A bandheaded by Nicholas Passero stood at St. Anthony threatening Vallo,which then added to Santa Barbara led by Tiberius Testa.
This, however, desisted from continuing in the action against the new regime onadvice of the Duke Mongroveio, while Passero would not listen anythingand hanged in Roccaglioriosa.
LONGITUDE: 15.26524649999999GO TO GOOGLE MAPS