Antonini believed that Lucanis had made on the Mountain today calld “Stella”, city of Petilia, saying that this Petilia, and not the other one of Ancient Greece, was the first capital Lucania.
"First mention of the name Porcili is in 1038, the designation about the demarcation of boundaries of a land located at Ancilla Dei, already donated by the princeps Guaimario and his son John to their faithful. The diploma, undated, was performed to Giacinto, sent «in actu Cilenti, "and properly to Ancilla Dei, to settle the dispute of the aforementioned faithful (Lombard) and other principles about the demarcation of the boundaries of some land donated.
Of Porcili is news in a donation of 1164, of some "habitantes' inSerramezzana made to Constantine, governor of the castle of S. Angelo of Castellabate, headquarters of the ecclesiastical barony of the Abbey of Cava. Among those who the donors gave as guarantors of the donation, a certain John inhabitant of Porcili. About the village we read in a sale in April1170 that speaks of a demarcation of boundaries of goods of William Sanseverino and the property of the monastery of Cava in 1187.In 1276, Porcili was part of the barony of Sanseverino as affirmed as "testes de Cilento “ when King Charles gave back to Ruggero.
Sanseverino then donated the village to the Capano, which claimed to have had it "in capite", that is, directly from Crown. Lord of Porcili, Terricelle, Acquavella, St. John, Guarrazzano and Castellammare of Bruce, to say the Borrello, was Francis Capano. In 1439 the village was always owned byCapano, as can be seen from the privilege of September 4 of that year of King Alfonso of Aragon that decreased the weight of the collections on that fief. For refusal then opposed by Carlo Capano to take part to the conspiracy of the barons, Sanseverino stripped him of all property,exiling him.
By courtesy of King Ferrante, Roberto Sanseverino in 1463 obtained the pure and mixed power on the hamlet of Porcili and others. The confiscated property were held by the Sanseverino until 1487, when all the goods of Antonello were confiscated from the royal Curia for felony. Mary Capano, daughter of Charles and wife of Sigismund of Sangro, obtained the return of feudal privilege on 1 October 1488. The previous year (8 October 1487), was a guest of di Sangro, in Acquavella, the heir to the Aragonese throne of Naples, Alfonso, Duke of Calabria. With graduation of Jan. 17, 1495, these assets, with the whole barony,were returned by Charles VIII to the Sanseverino, then confiscated and again returned to Roberto Sanseverino in October 12, 1505, following peace between Ferdinand the Catholic and Louis XII of France.
To Sanseverino, however, was granted only the high command on the villages of St. John, Guarrazzano and Bonafede that were left in possession of the de Sangro. In contemplation of marriage between Alfonso di Sangro and Bridget of Capua, Sigismund di Sangro donated (1517) those villages to the son, and after his death (1524) passed to his son Giovanni Consalvo. In 1527 he sold Porcili and Bonafede to Ferrante Gambacorta, San Giovanni to Giovan Battista Caracciolo, and Guarrazzano at the latter's brother Antonio.
The news then extant on the possession of those assets appear at first sight impossible or at least contradictory. By Quinternioni we learn that Mary Magdalene, the daughter of Robert Ambrose Sanseverino, when his father died, asked to be invested (1536) also of Porcili. In 1559 Muzio and Francis Capano, denouncing the death of his father Diomedes, asked to be invested with a fourth part of Porcili and Acquavella, apparently still in possession of the said families and not included in the sale of the brothers Capano.
On the death of Mario Capano (1564), however, it seems that the whole feud passed tobrother Francis. In the '600 and' 700 many steps. In the early '600 villagewas in possession of de Angelis, in 1617 Charles sold it to Luzio Materazzi of Castellabate, who alienated it in favor of Antonio Carlo Pepoli in 1632. In 1669, village was moved by Vincenzo de Simone to Cornelia Martucci and Giuseppe Mirto and then to Bonito Casalicchio.
From these the estate passed then to the Regent Fillippo Pisacane with the title of Marquis. In 1740, by decision of the sacred Royalcouncil, the estate was auctioned and the contractor was Duke Ignazio Berretta Casalicchio, from whom bought, with S. Giovanni and other villages, d. 16,000 Nicola Ventimiglia in 1761.From Nicola fiefs passed to Christopher Donato that sold them to Antonio Cesare Ventimiglia.
LONGITUDE: 15.091645500000027GO TO GOOGLE MAPS