By a valuable document of Abbey of Cava you learn that in anunknown date, but certainly before of 1027, the principles Guaimario IV and co-regent son Guaimario donated to ten families « fidelibus nostris ecclesiam vocabulum sancte Lucie, que constructa east lucanea, locum qui dicit nuciniano pertinentiis sacrednostri palatii », with the obligation of the same « servitium » which were requiredthe «homines » of Lustra and Torchiara.
However, although the church was isolated, the gift by the princes of the church and its dependencies to ten Lombard families, may wellconsidered the birth of the certificate of Saint Lucia village. But in thatplace there were certainly people as we read in a decreechaired by Count Raidolfo in 1034 in Fragina. The abbot Brancati ofSt. George gave as guarantors to Aresti from Santa Mariaof Terricelle, John Capialbo from St. Lucia and John of Ursina from Novi.It is said that the lack of any mention of the village in 1083 excludes the existence of the same church.
But apart from the unreleaseddocumentation of the above, it is clear that the Abbey did not count families subject to the area built around the church thatonly in the letters of Urban II is in the possession of the Abbey. InCouncil of Melfi (10-15 September 1089), Urban II composed the versionarose between the Abbot of Cava and the Bishop of Paestum, Maraldo who asserted that the Abbey «in suis juris episcopatu iniuste retineret »churches and monasteries. After reconciliation the pope said« omnibus clericis et laicis Salerni degentibus » with a letterwhere is mention of « ecclesiam sancte Lucie », as it is in the newsin the second one and from Venosa, where, taking «specialem apostolic sedistutelam protetionemque » the monastery of cava, the pope listed allchurches, monasteries and cells dependent by Abbey.
In these lists,however, is not mention of those villages becausePopes could speak in jurisdictional issues, asletters from Melfi, recognize the possession of monasteries and churcheshowever arrived to the Abbey, but not confirm possessions, especially in areas where they had no political power, except any settlements donated by ecclesiastical bodies on lands oftheir property. Paschal II confirmed in 1100 to Abbot Peter « ecclesiam s. marie cum casali suo », but he hastened to add immediately«Quod a te edificatum east. »
So Eugene III that in mentioning thesame village near the Abbey of Cava, clarifies «quodin Vobis (abbot of Cava) edificatum east. »In 1092 is the first sale of Orso, son of Peter, who declaredto own goods in St. Lucia from his father, which had received it from his wife Letizia, daughter of Guisenolfo. Goods sold to John,son of Lamberto, from Capaccio for 12 gold at the rate of4 tari for money. Possession of these goods lit then a fightbetween Mango and the monastery of St. John predicted. In fact, in 1094,Abbot Peter of Cava, finding S. Mango for a periodic ofits visits to monasteries and churches employees, promoted a judgment, with the judge Lando, against the aforesaid John from Capaccio to be illegally penetrated in the land owned by the monastery of S. Mango that were part of the «preceptum sancte trinitatis », of the homonymous land concession.
John had objected to have regularly had the ground for 26 money. The abbot immediately reconciledthe dispute causing the defendant to give him purchase forthe sum of 26 that he had said to have paid, when in fact he had paid only 12.In the note border demarcation between the respective property ofAbbot of Cava Benincasa and the executioner William of Sanseverino,the circuit of the property of the church of St. Lucia from the beginning ofgreenhouse of Sessa, descended toward the river that came from the Valle (Cilento), followed its course until valley that came from Omignano,rising from near the village of Sessa then turning south of same village to the first border. In 1238 monasteery gave to a local half a mill site near s. Lucia,«Quod dicitur de isca, » for three years and for three tari per year. In 1239 part of that mill was sold to John and to Nicola and Giovanni Pagano « reservata sibi tota molituraper domibus suis.
« In the Register of Abbot Thomas is news ofannuity assets of Badia sites in St. Mauro and St. Lucia.Also in the process of 1276 is mention of village of St. Luciadependent on the castle of the abbot, as also ensures Mazziotti, who writes that the village still belonged in 1309 to the Abbey to be included at the request of the abbot, including thosewho then got tax cuts for damages suffered during the Angevin-Aragonese war. In this period the village was granted toCapano who owned it for a long time.
In 1485 (the conspiracy of the barons)Antonello said to Berzano Capano to take part in the plot receivinga waste. Antonello took off also the fief of St. Lucia,returned by King Ferrante (1488) to his son John Capano. To himsucceeded Prince Francesco, to which Sanseverino took off the feud ofSt. Lucia to grant it to the castleman of Castelnuovo in Naples,Luise Pescione. Between 1517 and 1523 he alienated it in favor of Antonio Vaccaro in Naples « with houses, oaks and feud appointed »Bonanotte « et fourth part of the estate appointed Nuce ».
Sale confirmed by Ferrante Sanseverino.By Giustiniani is learned that the feud then passed to the familySantoro. In 1614 Camillo Santoro gave it to his daughter Isabella incontemplating marriage with Antonio Sergio. In 1628, however,it was passed to the family Pellegrino, if Cornelius sold it to OttavioFalliero for d. 3000. But in 1632 he sold it to d. 3880 toThomas Cuccolo, which in turn sold it for d. 6000 toCaesar to Thomas in 1634. By Cedolario we learn that Thomas Criscuolo, president of the Royal House Sommaria with R. agreement on 28February 1754, bought fief of St. Lucia to Aniello de Vicariis,which reserved him the title of marquis who owned on the feud.
ByThomas Criscuolo, at his death (13 November 1786), in the absenceof male offspring, the estate passed (August 8, 1787) to refute and successionto the eldest daughter Isabella wife of Francesco Sifanni. But Isabella died childless in 1813, for which the estate passed to his sister Vincenza , then wife of Gerolamo Vassallo, whose successors continued to use the title of Barons of St. Lucia.Giustiniani placed the village in a valley 44 miles from SalernoHe writes that its few inhabitants were all given to agriculture.
LONGITUDE: 15.091088799999966GO TO GOOGLE MAPS